How to file a section 154 income tax rectification request on the new e-filing portal?


It is reported that taxpayers are getting a lower tax refund than they requested when filing the tax return (RTI) for fiscal year 2020-21. This is because the new income tax portal did not take into account the full tax credit available in the 26AS form for these filers. If the income tax refund granted to you is less than what you claimed due to the denial of the TDS credit, as shown in Form 26AS, then these taxpayers can file a request for adjustment under the Section 154 of the Income Tax Act, 1961 to claim the balance of the tax refund.

Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to file a rectification request on the new e-filing tax portal, according to the Income Tax Service website.

Step 1: Log in to the e-Filing portal using your valid username and password.

Step 2: Under Services, click Correction.

Step 3: On the Correction page, click New Request.

Step 4a: the PAN will be filled in automatically. Select Income Tax or Wealth Tax from the drop-down menu. Here we will select the income tax.

Step 4b: Select the assessment year from the drop-down list. Click on Continue.

Note: You must also provide the most recent income tax reference number and click Continue if you choose the Wealth Tax option.

Step 5: Correction requests have the following classification:

Income tax rectification to correct the asymmetry of tax credits

Step 6: Select the request type as Tax Credit Gap Correction.

Step 8: The annexes of this type of request are filled in automatically according to the records of the declaration processed. To change or remove a program, first select it, then click Change or Remove.

Step 9: Click Continue to submit the request.

Step 5: Upon submission, you will be redirected to the electronic verification page.

Be sure to e-check your rectification request.

Points to note

  • After 4 years from the end of the financial year in which the u / s 143 (1) notification was transmitted, you are not entitled to request a rectification.
  • If you have used DSC (Digital Signature Certificate) to e-verify your ITR, you should also use DSC to e-verify your rectification request. Your DSC must be active, not expired and registered with e-Filing. If you don’t, you will be directed to the Register / Update Digital Signing Certificate (DSC) page to do so.
  • You cannot make any changes to the correction request, nor can you withdraw it. Once the first rectification request is processed in CPC, you can submit another rectification request.
  • Only returns that have already been processed by the CPC are eligible for such rectification requests.
  • Only the following parties may file a rectification request on the e-filing portal if they receive an order or notice from the CPC under section 143 (1): Registered taxpayers; ERI (which added the client PAN); Signatories and authorized representatives.

Also Read: New Income Tax Portal Errors Resulting in Reduced Tax Refund Amounts for Many

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.