Virginia taxpayers can begin filing both state and federal personal income tax returns starting January 24.
Last year, e-filing grew by 2% as more than 100,000 more Virginians took advantage of this option.
Filing your return electronically has many advantages.
- Returns filed electronically are usually processed within two weeks, while mailed returns can take up to eight weeks or more to process.
- You’re less likely to make common mistakes like putting the wrong number in the wrong place or miscalculating.
- E-filing meets strict security guidelines to protect your tax return; and
- You will get confirmation that your return has been filed.
If your income was $73,000 or less in 2021, you can file your tax return for free.
Virginia Tax takes refund fraud seriously and encourages you to do the same. Our automated system reviews returns for suspicious activity or possible fraud, then employees manually assess selected returns for review. Filing early helps ensure the fastest possible refund if your return is selected for review.
Taxpayer tasks 2022
- Learn more about Reimburse Fraud Prevention on our website.
- Create and login to an individual online account for secure online self-service where you can track your return or refund.
- Be sure to enter your correct address and banking information. Last year, over 16,000 direct deposits were rejected for incorrect banking information.
- Check the status of your refund by calling 804.367.2486 or using the Where’s My Refund app on the Virginia Tax website.
- Pay all taxes due with one of these payment options. You can pay online directly from your bank account, at no additional cost, or use a credit or debit card, which incurs an additional cost. You can also send a check or money order, which must be postmarked before the due date.
For more information, visit www.tax.virginia.gov.