Tax tip – How to change your tax return after filing it


OTTAWA (ON), May 182022 /CNW/ – Do you think the income tax and benefit return you filed for the 2021 tax year is missing important details or made a mistake? Do not worry, you don’t need to deposit a new comeback! Here’s what you can do if you need to change your return.

Wait for your notice of assessment (ANP)

Whether you filed your income tax and benefit return online or by mail, you must wait to receive your ADC, which we will make available to you.

If you are registered for My Account, you can use an express NOA to view your NOA in your NETFILE certified tax software or in My Account. It will be available immediately after your return has been received and processed. Once your ANP is available, you can submit an adjustment request.

Request changes to your tax return

Request changes online
You can edit your return online using the improved and simplified Edit My Return option found in My Account, or by using ReFILE. These services are the fastest, easiest and most secure way to change a declaration. If you cannot request changes online because your return is still being processed, you must wait until it has been assessed.

The bill that includes enhancing the educators’ school supply tax credit and refunding fuel levy proceeds to the farmers’ tax credit has not received parliamentary approval. Once the legislation is approved by Parliament, the CRA will process tax returns with these refundable credits. Contact us if you have any questions.

With the enhancements to Edit My Return, you may receive questions and/or messages when errors are detected and need to be resolved before you can proceed with your submission.

Submit a paper adjustment request form
If you prefer, you can complete Form T1-ADJ, T1 Adjustment Request. Once completed, you can mail it to your tax centre. Be sure to include all of your supporting documentation for the change(s) you wish to make.

Tax credits

If you don’t need to use them to reduce your federal tax to zero, you may be able to transfer some or all of certain tax credits to your spouse or common-law partner. Please see Schedule 2 Federal amounts transferred from your spouse or common-law partner for more information.

How long will it take for the changes to be made?

  • If you submitted your request online, your change request will take approximately two weeks to process.
  • If you submitted your request by mail, your change request will take longer. Due to COVID-19, the CRA may take 10-12 weeks to process paper adjustments.

We consider that some adjustment requests are complex and may take longer to process. Complex requests include situations where additional information or review is required.

For more information on processing times, go to CRA processing times.

You can request an adjustment for any of the previous 10 calendar years online or by mail. For example, a request made in 2022 must relate to the 2012 tax year or a later tax year. Adjustment requests for different years must be submitted on different forms. But, they can be posted together or submitted to us at the same time.

Once the CRA has reviewed your claim

After reviewing your request to modify your tax return, you will receive:

  • a notice of reassessment showing the changes to your return, or
  • a letter explaining why we have or have not made the requested changes.

Your right to benefits and credits such as Canada child benefit and GST/HST credit may be revised at a later date. In this case, a notice of reconsideration will be sent to you under separate cover.

For more information

Changing the information on your tax return is easier than you think, go to How to change a return.

You can also view our questions and answers on your tax filing page for more answers to common questions.

Stay connected

SOURCE Canada Revenue Agency

For further information: Media Relations, Canada Revenue Agency, 613-948-8366, [email protected]

Source link


About Author

Comments are closed.