United Way of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley and The Mahoning County Financial Stability Partnership have partnered to provide free tax preparation assistance to low- and middle-income individuals, families, and seniors.
The financial fair is scheduled from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Organización Cívica y Cultural Hispanoamericana, Inc., 3660 Shirley Road, Youngstown, as part of the partnership’s “Super Saturday” event, according to a press release.
The services will be offered through the IRS’ Voluntary Tax Assistance and Tax Counseling for Seniors programs, the statement said.
VITA offers free assistance to people with disabilities, students, and elderly taxpayers who file a Form 1040-EZ, Form 1040-A, or 1040 Basic Federal Income Tax Return, according to the release.
“Taxpayers visiting a VITA site should bring wage and income statements (Form W-2) from all employers, interest statements from banks (Form 1099), a copy of the last year if available and other relevant income and expense information,” the statement read.
More than 10 partners will be available to provide financial education and support as well as seminars for customers to attend, according to the release.
The sellers will help every family make sensible tax decisions for their tax return money and their financial future, according to the release.
More than 2,000 people in Mahoning County took advantage of free tax sites last year, saving them more than $2 million in refunds and fees, according to the release.
Volunteers complete an IRS training course on basic tax return preparation before they can assist taxpayers.
Working individuals and families may also be eligible for the earned income tax credit. Twenty percent of taxpayers do not claim this credit, which could result in an additional $5,372 for a family with two children, according to the release.
On-site volunteers can help determine if a taxpayer is eligible for this credit.
Other VITA tax prep locations in Mahoning County will be at the following locations:
- Zion Lutheran Church, 330 Canfield Road, Boardman;
- Campbell Elementary School, 400 Stephanie Circle, and Middle School, 2002 Community Circle;
- Oak Hill Collaborative, 507 Oak Hill Ave., Youngstown;
- Sebring Library, 195 W. Ohio Ave., Sebring;
- Tri-Lakes Library, 13820 Mahoning Ave., North Jackson;
- Youngstown Community School, 50 Essex Street, Youngstown;
- Youngstown State University Williamson College of Business, 224 N. Phelps St., Youngstown;
- Catholic Charities, which has offices in Youngstown and Warren.